So what is the difference between Anti Virus and Spyware ?
A virus is a short program code which can cause actual harm or damage to your PC. It can even cause problems with your computer hardware.
Spyware will not damage or harm your computer but it is a pain and nuisance to have running in your processes. Spyware is intended to watch over or control you and your computer. Since spyware and viruses are two different programs, most antivirus software are now integrating anti-spyware components within their programs.
How do you get spyware on your computer in the first place?
There are several ways this may happen. You may have elected to allow browser plugins to be installed automatically. Sometimes these contain spyware. Some internet sites install spyware whilst you your on their internet page. Over 80% of these types of URL are porn related. If you download or install games or pictures from unscrupulous websites, you’re most likely to be infected with spyware. The worst type of spyware is one which “tells” you that it will eliminate infections from your computer but if you click on the ad, it will install spyware .
What can you do about it?
Use a secure browser like Firefox or Internet Explorer. This will minimize the chances of being infected.
- Be wary of sites you visit and download items from.
- Keep your windows up to date.
- Install anti-spyware software.
- Make sure your firewall updates itself.
- Look out for tell-tale signs of spyware infection, such as slow responses, ads popping up, icons in your system tray and unrecognised items in your task manager. If you notice anything unusual do a full scan with recommended software.