For many people, free Wi-Fi access is increasingly becoming an important aspect of their visitor experience. The number of smartphone ownership is projected to increase over 2 billion worldwide by 2016, making it easier for people to stay connected and increasing the demand for Wi-Fi throughout customers’ visit. It is becoming an absolute necessity for business travellers and a large percentage of leisure tourists.
Whether you run a hotel, bar, restaurant or a visitor attraction the importance of fast, easy and free Wi-Fi access is clear.
ONLINE PRESENCE IS A MUST
With customers looking to extensively use their mobile devices to gain access to the internet throughout all stages of their travel experience, organisations within the tourism industry are adapting their marketing strategies to accommodate mobile platforms. A clear shift in booking patterns toward mobile and tablet booking devices is visible and needs to be considered to ensure you remain competitive.
Two thirds of leisure travellers use search engines to research travel online. If you are not visible online you will lose out to your competitors.
However having an online presence isn’t enough…..
Customers now expect access to free WiFi during their stay with WiFi becoming an important factor when attracting or retaining customers.
THE BENEFIT OF WI-FI
In order to satisfy your customers, offering a free WiFi service is a must. A wireless solution will help you generate a WiFi ROI through targeted social media campaigns. Here are a few simple ways you can use WiFi to improve your organisation:
1. Facebook sign in: turn your business into WiFi hotspot
- Customers simply check in to your location through Facebook to access your free WiFi
- Facebook friends can discover your business through their news feed
- Encourage customers to like your Facebook page – a great way to keep connected
- Find out information about your customers to create effective marketing
- Know how regular people visit your company and identify your repeat customers.
2. Hot spots: know where your customers are
- Use your WiFi to see where your customers spend most of their time e.g. café, reception, gym, garden, restaurant, activity zone You can then use this information to tailor offers and marketing activities in the future
3. Encourage social media referrals
- Create a simple way for customers to provide referrals through Facebook or Trip advisor with the aim of increasing word of mouth.
- Make it easy for customers to share pictures and experiences with friends via social media promoting your company and raising brand awareness.
4. Push out information effectively to visitors
- Keep your customers up to date through your WiFi landing page. Use this to publicise upcoming events and offers e.g. timetable of kids activities, evening entertainment, offers in restaurant.
INCREASE IN SMARTPHONES DRIVING DEMAND FOR ONSITE WIFI
Smartphones have overtaken laptops as the most popular device for getting online with two thirds of people now owning a smartphone. This has led to many customers valuing WiFi as essential, noting that the availability of WiFi had influenced their decision when considering where to visit.
“WiFi was as essential as a working shower or air conditioning and that it needed to be offered free, fast, and reliably.”
HotelChatter found that 94% of people cite WiFi as the most important amenity with 38% of hotel customers say they would book elsewhere if there was no WiFi available.
If you do not offer free WiFi you could be losing out to your competitors. Act now before it’s too late.
HOW CAN TELEMAT HELP?
Our award winning Wi-Fi solution with thousands of wireless networks deployed globally – delivers seamless coverage quickly, easily and affordably. We offer flexible wifi solutions to meet the demands of any of our customers. Click here to see how Telemat can help you create and implement your wifi strategy.
TELEMAT IMPACT ON THE TOURISM INDUSTRY